there's a new challenge on the cards blog to make a card with a window. inspired by this super cute macm card done by kristina werner
challenge is the best way to describe this card making experience, because i had several of them while making this card. when i began this card i knew it would include 3 things: a window, a flower box outside the window, and a brick background as the outside of the house. but i had no idea what i was going to do for flowers because i knew i didn't have any small enough. but i decided to just start with what i knew and figure out the rest as i went along.
so i started by sketching out my idea. and cut my cardbase to a standard sized card 5 1/2 x 4 1/4
then using the fiskars dry embossing plate with the brick pattern i embossed the front of the card. if you have a cuttlebug or big shot embossing is much faster and easier, but i don't have one so i do it the old fashioned way :)
then i used vintage photo distress ink to shade the bricks to make them look more natural.
first challenge: arched window. i didn't want a square, but i didn't have a template for an arched window. so i cut a 4 1/2 inch oval on my cricket with the george and basic shapes cartridge. and used my fiskars paper trimmer to cut the bottom half of the oval off. ureka!
then i sketched the four window holes on the frame. i used removable adhesive to hold the cardstock in place while i cut out the window holes. i used the fiskars craft knife to cut. i couldn't have make this card without this blade, because it allows you to get close and not accidentally cut something you didn't mean to. i just purchased it on my last shopping trip and i'm so glad i did!
so once i had the template i needed to cover it with the window frame. which meant i had to decide what colors i wanted to use, and for some reason this took forever with this card. the simple act of picking papers-sad, really. i finally decided on grey cardstock, and used the flip side of the fiskars dry embossing plate which had a stone pattern. i used my cricket and cut another 4 1/2 inch oval from the grey cardstock and glued my template to the cardstock and cut out the window.
then i cut clear acetate to make the window glass, and glued to the frame.
next challenge how to make the window box. i cut a rectangle from the grey cardstock, and embossed with the stone pattern. then cut the sides at an angle and added a strip of black cardstock across.
then on to the biggest challenge, i needed flowers! then i remembered watching vickypgr make paper flowers on a mother's day card, and i thought-PERFECT! i'll put roses in my window box.
the first three flowers i tried came out horribly, then i finally got the hang of it. i used my fiskars large circle punch on red cardstock, then cut in a spiral, and then used the small round file from basic grey's precision filing kit to wrap the cardstock around. (you can also use a thin paint brush like vickypgr does in the video). i used glue dots to secure the bottom of the flower.
then i cut leaves from a scrap of leftover green cardstock.
since the window was from the outside looking in, the next challenge was to create curtains and the wall paper. again i cut ovals using my cricket, then free hand cut the curtains, and glued all three layers together.
i finished off the card by cutting strips in green cardstock to make grass, using martha stewarts 3 in 1 butterfly punch to cut out butterflies. i adhered the window box with martha stewart foam adhesive, i added faux stitching to the window box with a white gel pen, and used a hero arts stamp for the sentiment.
super challenging, and a whole lot of fun to make
thanks for looking
blog ya later!